You are currently browsing the monthly archive for February 2008.
So right now I’m writing on Day 2 of my new job at the awesome New Media Strategies in Arlington, VA. From the name of the company, I’m thinking you web savvy consumers can guess what we do here – that’s right folks, we work with new/social media!
Ever since I caught the social media bug about 2 years ago, I have been voraciously reading blogs (and creating a blog!), writing down ideas, notes, and fully absorbing any and all strategy about this space that I could get my hands on. Needless to say, I am very passionate about this area of web technology and online communications. For those who know me pretty well, they know that I am an information geek. When I get an interest in something, I will make it my duty to learn as much as possible on it and (sometimes to the dismay of others) try to share it with as many people as possible! One of the things I tell my younger family members in junior high or high school, is that “once you know, no one can tell you I told you so” – so with that in mind, I try to learn as much as possible in life.
Ok, enough with the lecture.
I am super stoked to be here working with my buds Leslie Bradshaw and Brian Devine, who not only know their stuff when it comes to the Web, but they are also really cool in real life. But…don’t tell them I told you that, I don’t want them to get big heads…
Folks, this qualifies me as a poster boy for getting your dream job. If you work hard and keep pursuing the goals that you have for yourself, things fall into place.
Thanks to all my Twitter buddies for all the congrats. And now if you will excuse me, I must break out into my secret victory dance one more time…
I just posted my Idea suggestion for the website – obviously focused on some aspect of health.
As an advocate for public health education, I would want the President to boost publicity about the National President’s Challenge – a nationwide physical fitness program aimed at getting kids, teens and adults living healthier. This year will be the 52nd year of the Program, started by Eisenhower and it’s no secret that the country is in need of a fitness/healthier lifestyle boost. Let’s unite the country in good health!
You can find the post here on the site. Some pretty interesting ideas have been posted and hopefully you can also join in. Web technology is enabling us all to do so much, I love it.
Hmmm…might be time for me to cutback on the red meat. In recent news, the USDA just ordered the nation’s largest recall of beef.
How large is large you ask? Well, they are recalling 140 million pounds of meat – which you know, I tend to believe is a pretty high number, considering the recall before that was a mere 35 million pounds. Am I missing something or am I correct in thinking that with all the advances we have made in the food industry that this sort of thing shouldn’t happen?
Basically the premise of the need to recall this beef is that there has been an undercover investigation that exposed the manufacturing farm as passing along cows that failed to receive complete inspection.
From the article:
“Federal officials suspended operations at Westland/Hallmark after an undercover video from the Humane Society of the United States surfaced showing crippled and sick animals being shoved with forklifts.”
Are you getting that feeling in your stomach too? You know, the feeling of dread when you decided too late that you shouldn’t be on this rollercoaster?
Hey folks, I’ve been working on getting things redesigned here and having WordPress hosted elsewhere – so I’m getting excited about that. Alot of planning and thinking about where I want Antibio.tech to go…stay tuned.
Since I started blogging in October of last year, I’ve met alot of great people through Twitter and through comments on the blog. As I first began writing, I figured that ideas would just pop into my head and I would write (keeping within context of the blog of course) about whatever I thought was important. Since evolving my interests, I’ve decided to talk about why I’m blogging here.
- Transfer of Ideas. I need a place to funnel good ideas into print form, that I want to share with others.
- Share and Share Alike. I like sharing information with other people. If I find something that I think will benefit you in some shape or form, I’d like to share it. Usually interesting links can be found on the left side here – my Del.icio.us links.
- Healthier You Equals Healthier Others. The main focus here is on health and personal technology. If I can change or influence 1 thing in your way of thinking (for the better hopefully), there is a good chance you will share that with another. Or at the very least, influence another through your very own changed actions.
- I like people. One of the things I’ve learned while working with social media is that the opportunities to connect with great people are certainly available! One of the individuals who has definitely shown me that despite having “status” in the social media community, they still care about talking to you, is Chris Brogan. The methods of communications tend to even out the barriers to get to know them. I mean, I even got to have a convo with Guy Kawasaki on Twitter!
- A Career is a Journey. Personal branding anyone?
- I’m Having Fun! Over at the Success Begins Today blog, I read a recent post on viewing blogging as either a chore or something to look forward to doing. I don’t feel any signs of burnout coming on so I’m still very excited about blogging. One of the pieces of advice I’ve heard time and time again regarding blogging and career direction is to do something you are passionate about. And I can happily say that I am passionate about what I write about here!
Well those are my reasons, what are yours? Do you have a reason for not blogging?
If you have any suggestions on what you would like me to cover or highlight in any way, please don’t hesitate to let me know!